Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Lately I have been developing an apreciation for casual friendships, and aquaintanceships. I'm a bit clever, and I can be funny, but I tend to look for friendships to be more than just a fun time. I want people I can really relate to, in a number of ways, or who are similar to me. I think it's been a realization that I'm really lucky to already have that person. If I meet more people like that, or people who fill that space for me sometimes, or at certain times then I'll be doing well. It's OK to just have some people that one sees socially, and just gets along with. I also want to put some effort into looking for some people who i can have some kind of intellectual respect for. Sadly, that sort of thing also means that I have to get my lazy ass in gear, and overcome my fear of failure enough to be able to put myself out there as someone who is worth talking to about interesting things. Reading Richard Dawkins latest book has made me aware of how many things I am woefully aware of. His primary school education was more comprehensive than my universtiy degree. Incidentally, that's not a statement of bitterness, more of a recognition of having found some directions for my next batch of reading.

Atheism is the first thing in a long while that has inspired me. I want something to be excited about, to work towards, and to learn about. I am greatly inspired by Dawkins. He mentions in his book having Douglas Adams as his only convert to Atheism, but so long as he shares the credit with Adams, through whom I found him, then Dawkins can count me among his converts as well.

No comments: