Thursday, May 08, 2008

Haircuts

I need a haircut. Urgently. And I want one that's cooler than I am, which I am aware, thank you very much, is kind of sad, and yet I still want it.

Lately I've been getting my hair cut by a mormon lady in her basement. She's cheap, but kind of far away, and does a great job of "nice hair", which is what I've been wanting . It's made working in the family business a lot easier. My previous chelsea used to frighten customers, so growing it out into something 'normal' made it easier.

Now that we're on our way out of here I want something cool again. I still want long enough hair to be able to braid it, but I want something that I don't have to wear up in a clip all day.

Especially as a fat girl, cool hair has always been an essential. I grew up in the 80s when there wasn't any sort of cool clothing available for fat girls, and I had to work my ass off to look cool in an assortment of individually uncool pieces. Cool hair was the way to pull the whole look together.

Then I came out as queer, and immediately spent the next 10 years with various versions of punk hair, multicoloured, or just brightly coloured, and ranging from a 'hawk to spikes, to the long-adored chelsea.

Now I want something in-between. Not so completely antisocial as a chelsea, but not the church hair I've been sporting either. And some colour would be nice.

No comments: