Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Multi-Lingual

So, I have come to the conclusion that I think in different languages for different things.

I think that my academic language is certainly English, that might not remain true, as my proficiency in Estonian increases once again, but...

My heart language (and again, here's where things just sound better in Estonian) is Estonian.  I can say what I mean about feelings, about thoughts and hopes and dreams, even lacking the complicated vocabulary, and the reclaimed language, and a queer or feminist lexicon, I can explain better what I feel in Estonian, than in English.  In English I am translating in my head.

So, the hours of practice are paying off.  My Emm (Mom) has noticed how much more fluent my Estonian has become, and I notice too.  I'm still without words every (other) sentence, but at least I'm making it through.  Now, t improve my written and reading fluency...  Baby steps.

No comments: