Thursday, February 24, 2011

This almost-a-year in teachers' college has taken me from someone who was so ideallistic and wanted so badly to change the system and help kids, to someone who sees schools as an horrendous child-processing mill.  The way that the University shunts us through the courses, not caring whether we develop as people, as teachers, as human beings, not really caring whether the people in the class have any interest in social justice, or fairness, or whether there is any real concern for furthering the betterment of society - something that I think should be inherent to the calling of teaching.  How can one even consider teaching without a desire to make the world that these little people are going out into a better place.

Last night the Pride Group met here, and the reality of being queer and young here really hit me.  I'm scared and I'm a grownup.  I remember being thrown out, and how horrible it was, and I was a legal adult, with friends to go to.  All I had to worry about was finding a job, money, and a place to live, and getting through university. 

I didn't have the rest of my growing up to do at the same time. 

I want to make a difference.  I don't want to just process people who are going to be ok no matter who is there.