Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A terrible tragedy, but not one of inaction...

Woman, 66, Wanders, and freezes to death.

 This is a horrible tragedy, but I don't think it is a tragedy of impersonal community, rather a tragedy of inadequate social services, lack of community support, inappropriate elder housing, and the very personal nightmare of dementia/alzheimers.

I know that I've lived places with lots of noise, as well as being a contributor to that noise at times...
You get used to it, and it becomes part of the background.   

The sad things, is that people with dementia often CANNOT be cared for in their homes, as with my grandmother, who had Alzheimers, and would literally shove my frail grandfather out of her way in her need to escape a place she could no longer remember.  It was a danger to her not to be in a secure facility.  My family had to move her, because she was escaping.  At times, neighbors saw her climbing the fence in the neighboring churchyard, and trying to get into the ravine.

The Alzheimers society includes suggestions such as disguising doors as walls, keyed door locks, alarm mats, barred windows, proximity alarms, hiding ID, purses and keys, and other jail-like methods to keep the person from "wandering". 

As a caretaker, the grief involved in having to watch your beloved's mind deteriorate, and then to have to cage them as well: horrendous.

My heart aches for her husband, and for her family.  Demonizing the neighbors, and the neighborhood isn't going to solve anything.

We could try providing more respite care,  alzheimers/dementia daycares, encouraging caregiving that is not always gender-determined, and re-thinking women's roles as automatic caregivers, more compassion in our eldercare facilities, better funding.

I don't have a solution.  I do remember how painful it was when my family was trying to do the best for someone we loved, I have seen other people trying to do the best for people they love, and I worry about what's going to happen to me.